Gifts of Stocks and Mutual Funds
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is a tax-effective way for you to make a gift to CARE. Please follow these steps to ensure your gift is received!
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell us that a gift is being transferred. This helps us identify the stock as yours when it is received so that you receive a receipt in a timely manner. In your email alert to CARE, include your name, the name of the stock, the ticker symbol, and the number of shares being donated. Also include your mailing address for the tax receipt, the purpose of the gift, and whether it is a payment on a pledge.
If you wish to donate mutual funds, see next section below
Provide the information below to your broker in order to make the stock transfer:
Beneficiary Account Number: 54604131
Beneficiary Name: CARE
Originator to Beneficiary Information (OBI): Your Name
DONATE MUTUAL FUNDS
Prior to transfering mutual fund shares, please contact Merrill Lynch at 800-692-7005 or 212-415-7452 between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM EST and ask for Jason Vincent, Karen Fogarty, Paul Marvin Jr, or Paul Marvin.
Provide them with the information below:
- Ticker symbol and name of mutual fund
- Number of shares being gifted
Broker information, including:
- Name of brokerage firm
- Account number
- Phone number of the institution delivering the shares
- Name of the donor (Your Name)
* Once eligibility of your gift of mutual fund shares is confirmed, Merrill Lynch will provide you with the BIN Number to receive your gift of mutual fund shares. The firm that sends your mutual fund donation must include this BIN number based on the shares being gifted when making the mutual fund transfer.
After Merrill Lynch confirms the eligibility of your gift of mutual fund shares, notify your broker/financial institution of the transfer request and email the information above to email@example.com. If your mutual fund shares are deemed "ineligible" for receipt by Merrill Lynch, please inform CARE at firstname.lastname@example.org so that further instructions may be provided.
Donations of mutual fund shares can take between 3 to 4 weeks to process. Note that gifts received after December 31st will be treated as a gift in the following calendar year for tax deductible purposes.